If you haven’t noticed the post yet about a new writer helping Aluna with game reviews and you’re interested in what kind of person I am or what got me into gaming I would like to refer to the post: “New Writer! Meet Scarzor” prior to reading this review.
Genre: Adventure, Open World, Sandbox, Multiplayer, RPG
Developer: Keen Games
Publisher: 505 Games
Release Date: 18 May, 2017
Portal Knights is the perfect game if you like Adventurous RPG’s where you keep working on getting your character stronger. This game can be played Co-op or solo, however I would recommend co-op for this game as it would guaranteed be a better gaming experienced when you get in there and slay the enemies with your friends. This game is all about collecting shards, making portal stones of them when you collected a certain amount.
Before you start the game you can choose between small maps, medium maps or large maps. Small maps would give you a slightly easier game in terms of finding the right portals. Medium maps would give you a game like it is intended to play and large maps are for the real adventurers that like to get challenged to search around a huge map for your portals.
- Play as a Warrior, Mage or Ranger and customize your appearance, abilities and upgrade your gear. You will also gain so called “talents” when you level up to make your character stronger.
- Base building in open world, build anywhere anytime. You will also unlock private islands where you can build. There is a lot of diversity in this, so choose whatever atmosphere suits you best and show it off to your friends!
- Great tactical PvE battles, even some of the normal non boss mobs can require some tactics
- Use portals to travel between dozens of randomly generated 3D sandbox worlds.
- Play with up to 4 friends in cooperative multiplayer or on 2-player split screen.
- Creative mode to build whatever you like without farming the resources to do so!
- Fight bosses (called Greatbeasts in Portal Knights), they require easy executable tactics but are still a lot of fun to fight.
- Aid NPCs in doing quests and even bring your favorite vendors to your own castle!
- Prepare yourself for an amazing adventure, be it alone or with a friend on co-op. You will guaranteed have a great time playing this game.
How did Portal Knights catch your eye?
To be honest, I am always looking for good adventurous RPG games that allow me to upgrade and gear my character over time. I also dislike the so called “Pay To Win” (P2W) games that require you to put in money in the game for micro-transactions in order to have a better gaming experience. Portal Knights is a game where you just pay the game and you will be able to do a play through without any trouble.
At a certain point it does require you to farm resources in the game though, Minecrafters, you will have a great advantage here. I myself am a true resource farmer when I play games and i can even get addicted to it after a while. Of course there is a point of farming resources, you will need them to upgrade your gear so you can challenge bosses during the game.
The only bad side for me was that it didn’t really have a story and it was just blindly farm to create portal stones to get to new levels and farm again. I would’ve really liked some kind of story, but at the same time I don’t think a game like this requires a story. Not a single moment was I bored while playing this game.
The game is priced at €19,99 and has been worth more than the money. Portal Knights is available for PC (Steam), Xbox One, Playstation 4, Switch and smartphones. If you haven’t seen a trailer about the game yet and are curious, here it is: